Photo via Unsplash
In January, I decided one of my 2018 goals is to stop overthinking things. To honor that, I’m going vegan in the month of February!
Going vegan is something I’ve talked myself out of trying for years. I’m already a part-time vegetarian, vegan-before-6 kind of gal – so why not go whole hog and see what happens? Add in that I’m in a cooking rut, the winter months always make me feel like crap, and I could use a hormonal “reset,” and you have a recipe for change.
For now, I’m committing to going vegan for a full month to see how it goes. I spent January researching recipes, trying out adaptations to my favorite foods, and getting my pantry prepared. Oh, and I ate my last cheeseburger last weekend before I say goodbye for a while.
I’ll see where I am at the end of the month and assess things from there. Even if I go back to my occasional cheeseburger, I still plan to work more plant-based meals into my life.
My husband won’t be joining me on this one – at least not full time. He worked more vegetarian meals into his life, thanks to my gold-star cooking. I’ve also tried a few vegan recipes out on him already, and he seems to like them. At this point going vegan isn’t for him, and that’s fine. He’s supportive of my doing this for me, and leaving him to his own devices when he wants some meat or cheese. I’m sure he’ll end up eating a lot of what I cook anyway – he has a hard time saying no to falafel, black bean soup, and just about anything else I make!
I’m not sure how much I’ll post about this over the next month, but I’ll definitely let you know at the end of February how going vegan went! Until then, check out my Instagram, where I’ll be sharing all the delicious new food I’ll be trying out!
Photo by Alex Geerts on Unsplash
Welcome to November!
As we race ahead to the holiday season, I’m excited to bring you some fun posts this month! In addition to some Thanksgiving-themed posts, I’m also challenging myself to a #NoSpendNovember. Look for posts every Monday that will (hopefully) motivate us all to spend a little less, ideas for fun and free things to do, and budget DIYs to spruce up your life without spending anything…or at least not so much! December always ends up being such a budget blowout for many of us. Taking a month off of spending on frivolous stuff will help us clear our minds, closets, and maybe even beef up our bank accounts!
This month, I’ll also be working with a few brands to help promote products I’ve been loving lately that also won’t break the bank (when you get back to spending up a storm in December). Black Friday and Cyber Monday are also coming up this month, and I’ll be sharing my favorite online deals that you can take advantage of – don’t worry…I’ll probably break my “no spending” rule that day too. Gotta get those gifts early and super on sale, right?
Today is also #WorldVeganDay! While eating all that discounted Halloween candy, here are a few of my favorite vegan recipes to whip up for dinner tonight!
Acorn Squash and Black Bean Empanandas (from Veganomicon)
Superfood Vegan Mac ‘n’ Cheese (from Goop)
Homemade Falafel + Cucumber Dressing (from A Beautiful Mess)
*The dressing isn’t vegan, but you could easily substitute vegan sour cream!
The Best Vegan Apple Crisp (from Minimalist Baker)
Welcome to another edition of Friday Favorites!
But most importantly – FALL IS HERE!!!
It’s been another busy week around here, but a good one. The weather is cooling down, and the leaves are slowly starting to change over to their fall colors. I even had to turn the heat on in the office on Wednesday! I’m excited for sweater weather, and can’t wait to start using my giant scarf collection too!
Anyway, enough rambling. Here’s what I found fun and interesting online this past week (or so).
- If you enjoy workout videos like I do, check out Tracy Anderson’s total body workout video! (Goop)
- If you saw my Instagram earlier this week, you’ll know my skin has totally gone to shit. None of the usual acne stuff seems to be working at all, so I’ve gone the herbal route and bought some products that use Neem. I’ll report back and let you know how it goes.
- I also have a giant order from The Ordinary on its way. I’m really not happy about this skincare thing, and willing to try anything to fix it. This stuff is not only potent and effective, it’s also the most affordable skincare out there.
- I’ve been toying around with the idea of going vegan for, like, years now. I pretty much eat vegan already (except for dinner), so it’s just a matter of getting a better recipe arsenal. Mac ‘n’ cheese is a lot of what’s holding me back, to be honest – that stuff is hard to give up. Might try this recipe this weekend from Goop for Superfood Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese to see if it’ll help me get over the “cheese hump” I hear is brutal when making the switch!
I hope everyone has a great weekend! I’m planning to go watch the new Kingsman movie, hang out with the in-laws, and hopefully get some much-needed down time!
Have a great weekend!
Welcome to another weekly edition of Friday favorites!
Man, it’s been a crazy week around here!
Summer finally decided to make an appearance, with temperatures well into the 90s all week. We’re also dealing with a smoke cloud over the Seattle area, thanks to a forest fire that started in Canada. Needless to say, I spent the last week cooped up inside hiding from either the heat or smoke!
Here are some things I enjoyed this week while hiding from the heat!
- Free People wrote a great post this week on when to toss your green beauty products. If you recently cleaned up your beauty routine, it’s worth checking out to make sure your beauty products are still safe to use!
- I’m in the process of re-organizing my closet, and Aimee Song’s closet tour was full of so much inspiration!
- You know I love a good DIY face spray, and Orchid Grey came up with a quartz-charged rose spray I’d love to make! I’m not sure if I buy into the whole quartz thing, but the scent sounds divine!
- I am currently cooking my way through Veganomicon, and recently made their Southwestern Corn Pudding. I’m definitely making this one again soon!
- My husband’s succulent has exploded, and I’ve been shopping online for some small pots to plant all the little baby succulents. I am going to do my best not to buy, like, 10 of these adorable Japanese-style painted pots:
Aren’t the adorable?
Anyway, before I go down the rabbit hole on Amazon…I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m planning to maybe go to the beach if it’s not too hot. Otherwise, I’ll be in front of the air conditioner like everyone else in Seattle!
I hope everyone is enjoying the lovely spring weather all around the country this week! It was nice to ditch the sweaters for a few days, but alas, we’re back to chilly temperatures for a while.
Here are a few things I enjoyed online this week:
- Chelsea Clinton was a guest writer this week on Well + Good, where she discussed the importance of talking about periods and breastfeeding, and how both of those things make it tough for women to succeed all over the world. A great read if you are interested in the recent news from states who are finally ending unfair taxes on women’s hygiene products! (Well + Good)
- I guess in his new-found spare time, Barack Obama has become another Instagram husband. Man Repeller has determined he’s pretty damn good at it, too. (Man Repeller)
- Apparently jaw tension can cause breakouts? Great. Add it to the list of things I need to stop doing, from eating dairy to letting my face rest of anything while I sleep. (The Chalkboard Mag)
- I’ve gotten hooked on watching The Sorry Girls, a DIY duo from Canada, on YouTube. They started out mainly doing DIY Halloween costumes, but branched out into tons of other cool things. Definitely check them out if you want to learn some cheap and easy tricks to update your space! (The Sorry Girls)
- Now that LeafTV is officially sold off, Geri Hirsch is now blogging full-time at because im addicted! Check out the blog for even more amazing content for the lifestyle junkies out there. This week she came up with a comprehensive spring cleaning list that anyone can conquer! (because im addicted)
- I’ll file this one away for whenever I’m back to living on my own, because lord knows I’ll never get my parents to try these! Check out Hello Glow’s 5 vegan macaroni and cheese recipes – they all look amazing! (Hello Glow)
I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m planning to catch up with some friends who are visiting BG, and working on some more blog posts for you in the near future!