Photo by Alisa Anton on Unsplash
Welcome to another edition of Friday Favorites!
Fall is (finally) in full swing here, complete with chilly temperatures and a lot of rain. It’s been a great week to snuggle up under a blanket with a good book and some tea. In fact, that’s my only real plan for this weekend.
Here is what I’ve been digging online this past week or two!
- I’m not a big salad eater, but even this Fall Protein Power Salad looks like the perfect way to force some veggies into me this fall! (Hello Glow)
- Another recipe I’m dying to try out is these Vegan Cheez Its. I’ve never made my own crackers before, and this recipe looks like the perfect snack to go with some hot apple cider! (Minimalist Baker)
- If you’re looking to clean up your beauty routine, I suggest checking out The Detox Market. They have tons of great products that would make great gifts, and a monthly subscription box if you want to try something new each month!
- I am on the hunt for my own vaporizer pen, and this rose gold version from Beboe is so pretty. Too bad they only sell them in California…sigh. Get on the rose gold weed pens, Washington!
- Speaking of curling up with a good book, Wit & Delight’s list of uplifting and inspiring books is perfect for fall. I’ve got all 7 books on my library holds list!
- This is the first Kickstarter campaign I’ve seriously considered giving to. Therese Shechter is making a documentary about the current issues surrounding women who choose not to have children. She talks to a couple living in the South who chose not to have kids, a woman whose fertility struggles led to a change of heart, and young women trying to build their lives without motherhood in mind. I think these are important stories to hear, especially now that our access to birth control and abortions hang in the balance. (Kickstarter)
I hope everyone has a great weekend, and I’ll be back next week with some new posts – if I don’t spend the whole weekend buried in a book!
Welcome to another edition of Friday Favorites!
But most importantly – FALL IS HERE!!!
It’s been another busy week around here, but a good one. The weather is cooling down, and the leaves are slowly starting to change over to their fall colors. I even had to turn the heat on in the office on Wednesday! I’m excited for sweater weather, and can’t wait to start using my giant scarf collection too!
Anyway, enough rambling. Here’s what I found fun and interesting online this past week (or so).
- If you enjoy workout videos like I do, check out Tracy Anderson’s total body workout video! (Goop)
- If you saw my Instagram earlier this week, you’ll know my skin has totally gone to shit. None of the usual acne stuff seems to be working at all, so I’ve gone the herbal route and bought some products that use Neem. I’ll report back and let you know how it goes.
- I also have a giant order from The Ordinary on its way. I’m really not happy about this skincare thing, and willing to try anything to fix it. This stuff is not only potent and effective, it’s also the most affordable skincare out there.
- I’ve been toying around with the idea of going vegan for, like, years now. I pretty much eat vegan already (except for dinner), so it’s just a matter of getting a better recipe arsenal. Mac ‘n’ cheese is a lot of what’s holding me back, to be honest – that stuff is hard to give up. Might try this recipe this weekend from Goop for Superfood Vegan Mac ‘N’ Cheese to see if it’ll help me get over the “cheese hump” I hear is brutal when making the switch!
I hope everyone has a great weekend! I’m planning to go watch the new Kingsman movie, hang out with the in-laws, and hopefully get some much-needed down time!
Have a great weekend!
(A short attempt to work outside during a smoke-out)
Time for another Friday Favorites!
While this was a short week thanks to Labor Day, it wasn’t a very fun one. First, temperatures were supposed to hit almost 100 this week, which meant hiding in the AC for another week. Next, the entire west coast has been on fire! The smoke and ash has been so bad that it looks like it’s snowing. Yuck! I went to my favorite coffee shop to get some work done on Tuesday, but I only made it 20 minutes before leaving because I was already covered in ash. It didn’t really start to clear up until yesterday, and unless it rains soon, it’s going to be around for a while.
Being cooped up all week wasn’t fun at all, but I did have some extra time to goof around online! Here are just a few of the things I enjoyed online this week!
- The Everygirl did their list of favorite beauty products from Trader Joe’s. I’ve never really bought any beauty products there, but I might now!
- Since it’s been hot as balls lately, I’ve been using a facial mist to “freshen up” as I sweat all damn day. If you’re looking for a good one to try, check out Darling’s wish list!
- BUST is killing it lately with their articles. This one is about one of their writers recreating 4 lipsticks from history. I don’t want to spoil anything, but let’s just say some are more tempting than others!
- I just picked up a copy of The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck by Mark Manson, which seems to be the book of the moment. If this weather clears up, you’ll find me reading it at the beach this weekend!
- In honor of it being almost fall, I decided to grab a pair of pumpkin-spiced flats from Ollio. They arrived yesterday, and I can’t wait to wear them everywhere! It’s going to be hard for me not to order them in every color! Here they are in all their glory:
I’m not sure what the weekend holds for me – it largely depends on the weather! Maybe a trip to the beach, or a seasonal closet switch-over…who knows! What are you doing this weekend?
(Getting some inspiration to switch up my diet and cooking habits!)
It’s been an insanely busy week, and while I’m grateful to have so much work, it also keeps me away from the blog. I had a lot of great ideas for what I wanted to post this week, but man, after editing and writing for 8+ hours each day, I was burnt out!
I wasn’t online much this week, but there were a few things I enjoyed in between work and sleep:
- Harling Ross from Man Repeller decided to dress like her 2000s high school self for a week, and it was fun to go back and reminisce about the good ol’ days of polo shirts and flared jeans (both of which I hear may be coming back again…sigh).
- I’m a busty lady, and have had to rely on underwires to support me for my whole adult life. Thankfully, companies are starting to figure out how to make bras for people like me that don’t involve wires digging into my ribcage! Thanks, BUST magazine, for letting me know they’re out there!
- After switching birth control recently, my skin suuuuuucks again. Like, 13-year old breakouts bad. Thankfully, I found a simple fix to my skincare routine that seems to be working – tea tree oil! I add a drop of it to my cleanser each night, and it seems to be keeping my breakouts at bay. Now, if I could find an easy fix for the bloating and hormonal rages…haha…grrrrr.
- If you like your salsa blazing hot, with a bit of sweetness, definitely try the Charlie’s Salsa Four Pepper Hot version! It kind of has a barbecue-sauce-like flavor, and it’s hot enough to numb your whole mouth, but I really like it! I think it would be great on wings, mixed into queso dip, or eaten plan with Fritos!
I hope everyone had a great week, and that you find something fun to do this weekend! We’re dog-sitting this weekend, so it’s going to be a fun one. I’m looking forward to wearing their butts out on a hike or at the beach – if I can tear them away from D (they’re both madly in love with him). 🙂
Happy Friday everyone!
This week has been so much better. I’m finally over being sick, the weather cooled off, and the leaves seemed to change overnight. Fall is officially here, and I’m excited to get out and enjoy it!
Since I haven’t done a Friday Favorites in a few weeks, I thought I’d share some things I’ve been loving online since then:
I’m looking forward to spending the weekend hiking, enjoying the cool weather and changing colors. It’s also football season, so I will hopefully get some time to read more too. There is nothing like getting cozy with a book, am I right?
What are your plans this weekend? How have you been ringing in fall where you live?
For most of us, fall is the beginning of a new (school) year, and we gravitate toward the changing season with renewed focus and energy. I chose to pour my “new year” energy into doing some cleaning and organizing this week.
One afternoon I dedicated to going through my beauty products, updating things for the fall/winter seasons, and storing or tossing things I won’t need until next summer. If you haven’t done it yet, I highly recommend going through your stash and getting rid of things that are old, outdated, expired, or just no longer loved. It’s not only good for your actual health (two year old mascara is just asking to give you pink eye), but it’s good for your mental health, too. After a thorough clean of the apartment yesterday, I rewarded myself with some time outside on our patio…since it won’t be warm enough to do that for a long, long time!
Anyhoo, here are some things I have been enjoying this week on the internet!
- Jamie Beck did an amazing review of Le Bristol Hotel in Paris, and now I’m fully convinced that, in full Liz Lemon fashion, “I want to go to there.” Like right now. Just hop on a plane and be there.
- Part 2 of Alexa Chung’s documentary on the fashion industry came out this week, and is still making me bang my head against the wall that I didn’t go into fashion. I can’t design, sew, draw, or look good in clothes…but it turns out you don’t have to!
- World of Wanderlust’s “A Quick Guide to Krakow” just made me add Poland to my travel bucket list. Having a Polish background helps, but who knew it could be such a nice, easy place to travel? Not me, that’s for sure!
- I really, really want to try the Famous Chocolate Cupcakes recipe from A Cup of Jo because it looks insanely easy and very tasty! Unfortunately, my husband is on a self-imposed diet, so there will be no cupcakes in my life anytime soon. Apparently no dessert for him means no dessert for me, unless it’s something I know he won’t eat. I wonder if I can work in some hazelnuts….
- Man Repeller’s Leandra Medine interviewed Stacy London recently for their Chatroom series, but this week she released an extended version as a podcast. I am looking forward to listening to the entire thing this afternoon while cozying up with some banana bread and a tea (so I lied about not baking…I’m PMS-ing hardcore and couldn’t take it anymore…husband’s diet be damned).
I hope everyone has a nice, relaxing weekend! It sounds like everyone who was eyeballs deep in Fashion Week might need a couple days of sleeping in, eating on a regular schedule, and a good foot massage – all of which I hope you get!
Showing my best game face, acid washed jeans, and 80s shirt knot. I would also kill for those sun-kissed highlights again for sure!
Happy Friday everyone! I thought that I would switch it up on Fridays and do some throwback photos to go with my favorites around the web!
This week’s photo is from when I was 6 or 7, I think. I was the only girl on the team, and clearly no one thought to put my hair up in a ponytail (though if they had, that helmet really wouldn’t have fit!). I never lost that intense stare, or the stiff batting stance – though I did stop putting knots in my shirts once they started giving me ones that didn’t come down to my knees (man, I was tiny back then).
Anyway, on to some of the things I’ve been enjoying on the internet lately!
– I just discovered my new favorite drink: Cucumber, Basil, & Lime Gimlet! They’re refreshing, light, and very boozy!
– The Coveteur makes a great case for dry brushing. Might have to start doing this….
– Even though our rude and obnoxious upstairs neighbors finally moved out, I am holding onto this website of beautifully designed, passive-aggressive notes in case our new neighbors are just as bad!
– Khloe Kardashian has a closet just for her workout gear. I might be a tiny bit jealous….
– If you didn’t stay up late enough last night, you can check out Jon Stewart’s last episode of The Daily Show here. Just make sure to have some tissues at hand!
Now get outside and have a nice weekend! We’re not going to get too many more of these!