Happy Friday everyone!
This week has been so much better. I’m finally over being sick, the weather cooled off, and the leaves seemed to change overnight. Fall is officially here, and I’m excited to get out and enjoy it!
Since I haven’t done a Friday Favorites in a few weeks, I thought I’d share some things I’ve been loving online since then:
I’m looking forward to spending the weekend hiking, enjoying the cool weather and changing colors. It’s also football season, so I will hopefully get some time to read more too. There is nothing like getting cozy with a book, am I right?
What are your plans this weekend? How have you been ringing in fall where you live?
Me with my little sister, Lisa, way back in the day!
Today is my sister’s birthday! Happy birthday Lisa! Hope you’re having a great day celebrating, and sorry for texting you at 2am in honor of when your birthday really starts (if I remembered to do it…if I forgot, then consider yourself lucky)!
We’re hosting some friends this weekend, so I thought I’d leave with a few links to things I am loving on the internet this week!
Friday Favorites: Happy Birthday Edition!
Sorry the list is so short this week. I was busy getting things ready for our houseguests, and prepping for our Labor Day cookout. Speaking of, should I do cheesecake or apple pie? I can’t decide!
Have a great Labor Day weekend!
Now that I’m feeling renewed and re-inspired to start blogging on a regular basis, it’s time to bring back the Friday Favorites! Here are a few things around the internet I’ve been digging lately:
Well there you go!
I hope you all have a great weekend! I have a feeling this weekend is going to be a rough one. It’s in the 90s here, and I’m battling some allergy issues – and so is D, which makes him a real dream to be around. My plans right now include hiding in the air conditioning, sleeping in, and lots of ice cream to stay cool!
As I’m sure you can tell from the photo, I’ll be spending my weekend catching up with the Underwoods. I’ve been a huge fan of the show from the beginning, and hopefully I can restrain myself from watching all the episodes this weekend. Since I won’t get another season for a year (or more), I’ve gotta make this one last! Have a great weekend!
- If you’ve ever wondered how I make Broccoli Soup, it’s a Martha Stewart recipe! Check out this YouTube video from Everyday Food to see how I do it! It’s a great base recipe that can easily be adapted to a vegetarian, vegan, or full-blown cheese-aholic dish! (I’ve done all three, and they’re all good)
- If you’ve read Overdressed: The Shockingly High Cost of Cheap Fashion, then you may already know about this, but Darling Magazine took a closer look at where your donated clothes really go – and it’s not usually to the nearest Goodwill. Most predictions out there state that 90% of our donated clothing is sent to developing countries or thrown away. Darling also offers up some alternative charities and organizations that will take and use your clothing, rather than tossing it in landfills.
- Vanity Fair posted a YouTube video this week of Jennifer Garner reading the popular non-child-friendly kid’s book, Go the F**k to Sleep. As a mother of three, you can really feel that she’s been there….
- I woke up yesterday morning to learn that one of my new favorite magazines, More, is closing its doors after their April issue. The company cites a lack of advertising interest, and increasing pressure to write for a younger audience while keeping their luxury lifestyle mindset. I’m sad to see another print publication bite the dust, especially since I only recently re-discovered it! (New York Post)
- If you’re bummed now, head over to to Lookbook Store and buy these Gold Bumble Bee Hair Pins to cheer you up! They will be the perfect accessory with your spring wardrobe (and keep the flyaways at bay!).
Sorry for the delay – cleaning the apartment yesterday took longer than I expected. It ended in me taking apart our vacuum cleaner. There was so…much…hair in there.
Anyhoo, here are some links I’ve been enjoying around the internet lately! I think this is my last Friday Favorites of the year, so I better make it count, right?
- So I guess instead of naming their children after characters in Frozen, parents are naming their children after Instagram filters? I guess all the new Ludwigs will fit in nicely with the Olafs out there? Parents are weird. (Apartment Therapy)
- I tend to get super lazy about cooking after the holidays, probably because the lead up to Christmas is a flurry of baking and high expectations. Goop offers up their favorite one-pan dinners as a nice solution when we’re all feeling like something comforting and easy. That, and doing less dishes is always a good thing! (Goop)
- Design Sponge did a travel guide for…strangely enough…Toledo, Ohio! They listed a ton of places that I’ve never been before, and a few that were a huge part of my growing up in the area. If you’re from there, but haven’t visited downtown in a while, check it out – it sounds hipster central, but hey, isn’t everywhere now? (Design Sponge)
- MODG IS BACK!!!!! This was one of my all-time favorite blogs back in the day, and after a bit of a hiatus, she’s back with even more snark, period humor, and brutal honesty that’s sadly missing from blogging these days. Welcome back!
- If you’re looking for an elegant, simple no-bake cookie recipe for the holidays, House & Home has you covered. They made a beautiful video tutorial on how to make the most indulgent, decadent holiday treat- buckeyes. Yes, chocolate-dipped peanut butter balls. I laughed my way through it, but I also kinda want one now. (House & Home)
Well there you go! I hope you all have a great weekend! I’m trying my best to avoid the Star Wars mania around here (because I am the asshole out there who doesn’t care), shop for new sneakers, and start on that baking/high expectations marathon I mentioned earlier!
Loving all the sunshine this week while out hiking!
Welcome to October!
If September was all about renewed energy and work ethic, October is about building on that while also finding time to get cozy and comfortable. The weather in Seattle through September was unusually warm, so it didn’t feel like fall was coming at all – but this week it has definitely cooled off and feels more autumnal. I also started off October with a cold, so I’m forcing myself to stay home and chill out a bit more. I’m looking forward to the leaves changing color, breaking out my scarves (finally!), and everything pumpkin spiced!
Here are some things I’ve been enjoying this past week:
- Apartment Therapy reminded us that while the holidays are a few months away, it’s never to soon to start planning. They give amazing advice for those who like giving homemade, handmade, or trendy gifts each year (hint: plan way ahead!).
- If you wear heels, check out this YouTube video from Chriselle Lim for “5 Heel Hacks” to make sure your feet stay healthy and happy!
- To make sure you don’t miss this year’s fall foliage, check out the Fall Foliage Map to find out when the peak days for getting out to see the fall leaves!
- Lenny Letter No. 1 launched this week! Sign up on their website for the newsletter, and enjoy!
Now I’m off to find some spiced doughnuts and apple cider. Have a great weekend!
“Practicing” the piano, and by practicing I’m probably just screwing around….
I’m wrapping up August with one final Friday Favorites! Here are some things I’ve enjoyed over the past week:
(Taken at the top of Cougar Mountain, before embarking on one of the toughest hikes I’ve ever done!)
After a pretty uneventful week with some cooler temperatures, I’m looking forward to a warm, sunny weekend! Hopefully I can make it out to the beach if it’s not too crowded, and be a lot more productive next week.
Here’s some fun reading/viewing for the weekend. Hope you all have a great weekend, and start next week off well-rested and ready to go!
Into the Gloss compiled their best beauty advice, which is a great reminder to take care of your skin this summer! Sunscreen, sunscreen, and more sunscreen!
A video to remind you how much of a slacker we’ve all become: “8 People Who Have Accomplished More Than You At Every Age”
Another video to remind you that your closet isn’t as amazing as Olivia Palermo’s – if you were wondering.
If you’ve ever been curious about meditation, definitely check out calm.com – they have both a website and app that guide you through short (or long) meditation sessions. I also love the website when I want some peaceful background noise while chained to my desk writing away!
Doing laundry this weekend? Let Martha Stewart guide you to folding your fitted sheets like a pro. The video alone is worth checking out – there’s nothing like a bit of Martha’s biting sense of humor to make the most difficult tasks more fun!